6.11.2011

the first week

My first week back in Colorado Springs has been great.  In the office, work starts at 8:30am.  We begin every morning with prayer, devotions or worship with the whole staff.  After that, I'm up in my corner, with Lauren, working on my computer.  So far I've been working on a project in Kenya and one in Rwanda.  We've also been doing a little bit of administrative work.


What makes me really enjoy my time here is all of the extra things that come along with being an intern.  Every Friday morning we spend a couple of hours at a local soup kitchen called The Marian House.  We helped out by just cleaning in the kitchen, but it was really fun and a great way to serve the community.  The interns have also been spending a lot of time together outside of work.  So far we've picked up a pizza, watched a DVD, gone for frozen yogurt, hit up Chipotle and went to see X-Men.  Basically we've had a lot of fun hanging out :)


But I'm also really enjoying the down time and the time I get to spend on my own.  I love turning on Taylor Swift in the morning and singing on my 20 minute drive to work.  I love coming home and making whatever I want for dinner.  And I love going to bed early :)  This morning I went to Garden of the Gods Park and hiked  around on my own for a couple of hours.  It was so beautiful and peaceful and a great place to think, away from the distractions of the city.  



On Friday we also took some time to do the DISC personality assessment.  After ranking a bunch of descriptions as "most likely" or "least likely" it was decided that I am a Sic, or an advocate.  I ranked highest in S which is:

Steadiness: People with high "S" styles scores want a steady pace, security, and do not like sudden change. High "S" individuals are calm, relaxed, patient, possessive, predictable, deliberate, stable, consistent, and tend to be unemotional and poker faced. Low "S" intensity scores are those who like change and variety. People with low "S" scores are described as restless, demonstrative, impatient, eager, or even impulsive.   

It was really interesting for me to compare this one to Meyers-Briggs, which I've done a lot of work with.  They definitely have a lot of similarities and overlaps.  One of the things that Carl stressed while we were talking about DISC is that none of the characteristics or types are bad.  God made me this way, and it's not something that needs to be fixed or changed.  It's good to embrace and understand it more, but I don't need to try to fix myself; God made me this way for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment