6.30.2011

therapy thursday

Here in the Colorado Springs office Thursdays are lovingly called "Therapy Thursdays" because it's intern mentoring day.  At the beginning of the summer each of us was paired up with a staff member.  My mentor is Kate.  When we were choosing, we were supposed to write down the names of three people we would like as a mentor.  But since I didn't know anyone at that point (because my project trip left early) I just wrote down that I wanted to be paired with someone who was 'creative-minded' and not engineer-minded'.

So I got Kate!  She's the accountant in the office and it pretty cool.  I've had so much fun spending my Thursday lunches getting to know her.  Although I feel like she knows more about me than I do about her as I do most of the talking...

Anyway, we are reading a book together called The Call by Os Guinness.  It's basically what it sounds: understanding God's unique calling for you life.  We are only a few chapters in, but so far it's really good.  This summer I'm really being challenged to think about what I'm not.  What I'm not gifted in and what I'm not called to be.  In the first chapter Guinness says in order to understand our calling, we must first understand what we aren't.  To me, this is a relief.  Boundary gives freedom.

Also, I created this today in the office.  I moved to a workstation downstairs which is known as the fishbowl.  So I made a fun little sign for us :)



On a side note, since I've been in The Springs for a month now I've learned a few things.  One is that you should always have on hand.

Colorado Springs Essentials:
  1. Sunscreen: because it's ALWAYS sunny in The Springs and the sun is strong.
  2. Blanket/something to sit on: for random trips to the park.
  3. Sunglasses: see point 1.
  4. Sweatshirt: it gets really chilly here at night.
  5. Water: there's like zero humidity.
  6. Gas: everything is really spread out which means lots and lots of driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment