5.20.2011

first night in colorado springs.

We made it!  After 2 long days of driving and 1190 miles, my mom and I made it to Colorado Springs, CO.  Today we drove through sun, pouring rain, sleet, rainbows and misty fog.  It was a rather uneventful trip.  Our main source of entertainment was running baby cows.  So cute.

I was inspired to tell a funny story by one of my fellow interns, Lauren (who is going to Gabon with me!).  Here goes: as we approached Denver, the GPS (in her ridiculous British/Australian accent) told us to take E407.  So we did, even though it said "Toll way."  I pulled $1.60 in coins out and we were set...  or so we thought.  We started to get a little worried when we saw the first exit sign, stating $1.20 and "Do not stop."  If the toll is $1.20 after 2 miles, how much will it cost after 35 miles?!  And how do you pay?!

Luckily I have an android, so I used the Google.  And after using the toll calculator, we discovered we would be charged $11.20... somehow.  Anyway, we decided to bail.  So we exited for 70 West.  Expecting a toll booth or camera or something we cautiously took the ramp towards Denver.  But nothing happened.  We still have no idea how we escaped and got so lucky.  And we are half expecting the cops to find us... my car is pretty hard to forget.

Don't know if that was funny or not... I think you maybe had to be there.  Haha.

Tomorrow I move in with my host family and orientation starts on Monday!

We also stopped at the Colorado Welcome Center and I battled it out with a buffalo.

No comments:

Post a Comment