5.28.2011

site visit & interviews

It's hot here in Gabon, but things are good.  We've had a busy and tiring first couple of days.  I slept really well the first night, mainly because I didn't sleep at all on any of the plan rides.  Last night was harder.  I woke up, expecting it to be the middle of the night or early morning, yet I looked at my watch and it was only 11:50pm.  Dang.

Yesterday, we spent the afternoon walking the site.  Basically, it's a jungle.  There are some really tall trees, lots of undergrowth and a few banana trees.  We walked the entire perimeter, as most of it is too dense to walk, unless you have a machete.  I asked one of the guys if there are monkeys... but he said it is too close to civilization and people have hunted all of them in the area.

Today was all interviews.  Six different meetings with the different ministries, hearing all about their visions for the PK27 site.  It was an exhausting day, but we learned a lot.  Luckily we had a translator so I wasn't responsible for understanding everything they said.

Unfortunately the internet here isn't strong enough to upload photos :(  But trust me, it's beautiful!  I'll upload some when we get back to the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment