8.18.2011

this first day: paris

Oh my goodness.  I'm here.  I'm alive.  I'm in my own apartment.  I have a place to sleep tonight.

A few hours ago, I didn't think I'd be able to say those words... well, I figured I'd probably be alive, but the rest was up in the air.

All of my plane traveling went well.  Everything was on time and fairly smooth.  Flying with Aer Lingus was fun because I wasn't the only pale freckly one on the plane :)

The trouble came when I tried to call the Frederic from the apartment agency to check me into my apartment.  I got a calling card before leaving home, so I took it to the pay phone and tried my luck.  It didn't go through.  Every combination of numbers I tried (country code, no country code, city code, no city code, etc) just gave me a message saying the number wasn't valid or had been disconnected.  I began to panic.

I stayed at the airport for a while, trying again and again and thinking about what to do next.  Eventually I gave up and decided to jump on the train.  The ride wasn't that long and soon enough I was on the street, searching for an internet cafe.  My plan was to go online and find another number in hopes that I could contact Frederic before he went home for the day.

The first internet cafe I came to was down a flight of stairs.  The second was up one.  So eventually I sucked it up and carried my 70+ lbs of luggage down the stairs.  And paid way too much to get on the internet for 30 minutes.  After wasting 5 minutes simply trying to type on the strange European keyboard, I was logged on to Gmail.  Thank God for Gmail.  I was able to talk with my roommate who is still at home.  And she was able to talk with Frederic.

I left the cafe still not knowing what I was doing or where I would be sleeping that night.  I headed to the apartment, hoping Frederic would come back and meet me.  Praying that I hadn't missed him again.  Actually I was praying for an angel.  Someone, something to save me from the mess I was in.

I stood outside the door to the apartment for 10 minutes and decided I would stay until 6:00pm, 20 more minutes.  Then I would move on to Plan B.  I stood waiting, praying, trusting that God was at work.  I have him those 20 minutes, simply saying, 'there's nothing else I can do in the situation.  it's up to you.'

With over 10 minutes to spare, Frederic came.  Glory to God.

I feel a little bit overdramatic, and I apologize for such a long post, but after only 3 hours of sleep on a plane, it felt like my world was ending.  So thanks to the reassurance that my God loves me and is always with me, and this amazing view from my apartment window:


I'm safe, happy, blessed beyond belief and home for the next four months.

Dieu est bon, tout le temps.

No comments:

Post a Comment