9.10.2011

dinkelsbühl

This is such an amazing place.  I've never been somewhere that feels so fake yet so perfect, all at once.  I wish I had a way to upload photos because words can't describe how cool Dinkelsbühl, Germany is.

Last night we arrived at were welcomed by Randy and Andi, two of Prof. Schachman's friends who live in the city.  (Randy used to teach at IIT).  They made a delicious German meal for us, including sausage, potatoes, bread, cheese, and sauerkraut.  Plus a plum cake for dessert.  And I even tried a Radler, which is a beer (brewed right here in Dinkelsbühl)  mixed with a lemon soda.  It was such a fun night of just relaxing, talking, and having a good time.  Randy and Andi have a cozy back yard garden which butts right up against the city wall.

This morning I woke up early and did a little exploring on my own.  Then grabbed a cappuccino before we headed out on our tour.  Randy is an official trained Dinkelsbühl tour guide (plus he's an architect) so we learned a ton about the city.  We stopped midway at a Biergarten and I had an Afri-Cola which is like Coke with lemon.  And super carbonated.

After the tour we went to the Dinkelsbühl "beach."  It was just a park alongside the river where kids played in the water and families hung out in the sun.  We had delicious sausage and french fries for only 2.80 Euros!  So good.  We even played some beach volley ball.  Perfect.

I did some more exploring on my own and this time walked along the city wall for a while.  I found a bridge that looked like it belonged at Hogwarts, and a cat!  It came right up to me and let me pet it.  And it stuck with me as I kept walking!  I tried French and English but I'm guessing it only knows German.  And I have no idea how to say cat in German.  I really have no idea how to say anything in German.

Tomorrow we are heading back to Stuttgart and I'll be really sad to leave Dinkelsbühl.  It's such a cool place.  Romantic too.  I'd love to come back here someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment