10.03.2011

parkers in paris.

Last week, I was lucky enough to have my parents visit.  I had to opportunity to be a tour guide, a daughter, a parisian, and a tourist, all at once.  we set the schedule which didn't seem to bad to me, but now, looking back, i realize how jam-packed it was, especially for two people who have never been to Paris before.

The first day we set the bar high and took a boat tour on the Seine, then went all the way up to the top of the Eiffel Tower.  It was a beautiful night and we were on the tower as the sun was setting.  The colors were simply amazing.

The Seine, as seen from the top of the Eiffel Tower

The next day, Friday, I had class most of the day.  So I sent my parents off on my own.  They took a tour of the Opera House (one of my favorite buildings in Paris) and explored the Louvre.  When I was done we met up and explored the Montmartre neighborhood, including Sacre-Coeur and The Moulin Rouge.

Sacre-Coeur

Saturday was Versailles Day.  Ohmygoodness.  I visited the Chateau back in 2005 and wasn't that impressed.  It was hot and crowded.  I thought I might like it more this time... but no.  It wasn't quite as hot, but still obscenely crowded.  The redeeming element was the gardens.  They were beautiful and we had so much fun exploring all of the fountains.  On the way back to the city we stopped by the Inception bridge and Musee de Quai Branly.

In front of the Grand Canal, at the gardens of Versailles

Being an architect in Paris makes me wish Inception was real.  Or that I was Ellen Page.

Sunday we were back in Paris, ready to hit up the historical city center.  We started at St Chapelle, the King's private chapel, back in the day.  It was kind of amazing, and I don't think photos do it justice.  We also got to see the Conciergerie, the prison were people were held before they were sent to the guillotine.  The rest of the day was spent eating lunch and Berthilion ice cream along the banks of the Seine, Musee d'Orsay and Musee de l'Orangerie.

St Chapelle

Enjoying my Poire (Pear) ice cream on Ile de St Louis

Monet's paintings at Musee de l'Orangerie


Monday I worked on some school work that I'd been neglecting and I showed my parents around my neighborhood: rue de Petite Carreaux, Forum les Halles and the Pompidou Center.

Tuesday was their last day in Paris so I decided we should end the trip the Parisian way: Eating crepes from a street vendor and enjoying the Louvre/Tuillerie gardens, just a couple of Paris' amazing public spaces.

I can't say enough how glad I am they came to visit and how happy I was to show them around a city I now consider my own :)

My dad and I in front of our Apollo's Chariot at Versailles

1 comment:

  1. Two things:
    1. I just watched the Adele music video and it made me miss strolling along the banks of the Seine so bad
    2. Super jealous of your poire Berthillon
    Bonus: 3. I miss you!

    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete